The Renaming Ceremony and the Launch of EVERLONG
We returned from the final leg of our vacation travel plans on Tuesday night. I woke up on August 1st with the burning desire to get the boat in the water by Friday. With that, there were the "little" things to take care of, the little lists you've put to paper and then promised yourself you would act on before the launch. There were a bunch of those things and just about all of them entailed me getting in the car and chasing down a line, a screw or a nut.
I worked through Thursday night and before we went to bed, I sent Rob out for a bottle of rum, we were going to have a renaming ceremony.
The purpose of the renaming ceremony is to pay respect to the previous owner and the name the vessel sailed under and to rechristen the boat under her new name.....Everlong. A little splash of rum, with all participants getting a taste, we ceremoniously burned the remnants of the old boat, all documents which bore her name.

We had a little fire in a coffee can in front of Everlong before the launch.

A little denatured alcohol....and Everlong was christened anew.
Friday morning we loaded up and headed to Stanley's boat yard. They got the boat in the Travel Lift and stepped the mast. The riggers spent about an hour going over my sheets and rigging the boat checked out fine.


We had a chance to paint the dagger board and the few spots where the boat sat in the cradle. Here she is just prior to the launch.

Everlong at the dock, wet for the first time in many a year...and not a leak to be found!

Rob sitting forward as we head down the Barrington river, heading towards the bay. Note the nifty hat he's wearing....he would soon loose it in a fairly stiff blow!
Under sail, the wind was blowing 16 knots and the sun was baking us. It was 95 degrees ashore and we were going through the ice water! The boat handled like a champ and I would recommend her to anyone that wants a dry, comfortable and forgiving vessel.

This is a picture of our beach where we have Everlong moored.
And a close up of the little lady moored.
Of course, my little wife has no interest in the boat, just the creatures she can put in here marinara sauce!

....and when a man looses a hat in your service, you owe him a hat. Rob in his new cruising hat. I think I will be moving to something with a larger brim since a ball cap will help your forehead, but boy did my neck burn!
So, that's it folks. We're in the water and loving the boat. I'll throw some pictures from any changes and improvements in the future, but I will probably use the site to keep everyone abreast of what is going on in the family. Until next time, fair winds and following seas!
We returned from the final leg of our vacation travel plans on Tuesday night. I woke up on August 1st with the burning desire to get the boat in the water by Friday. With that, there were the "little" things to take care of, the little lists you've put to paper and then promised yourself you would act on before the launch. There were a bunch of those things and just about all of them entailed me getting in the car and chasing down a line, a screw or a nut.
I worked through Thursday night and before we went to bed, I sent Rob out for a bottle of rum, we were going to have a renaming ceremony.
The purpose of the renaming ceremony is to pay respect to the previous owner and the name the vessel sailed under and to rechristen the boat under her new name.....Everlong. A little splash of rum, with all participants getting a taste, we ceremoniously burned the remnants of the old boat, all documents which bore her name.

We had a little fire in a coffee can in front of Everlong before the launch.

A little denatured alcohol....and Everlong was christened anew.
Friday morning we loaded up and headed to Stanley's boat yard. They got the boat in the Travel Lift and stepped the mast. The riggers spent about an hour going over my sheets and rigging the boat checked out fine.


We had a chance to paint the dagger board and the few spots where the boat sat in the cradle. Here she is just prior to the launch.

Everlong at the dock, wet for the first time in many a year...and not a leak to be found!

Rob sitting forward as we head down the Barrington river, heading towards the bay. Note the nifty hat he's wearing....he would soon loose it in a fairly stiff blow!
Under sail, the wind was blowing 16 knots and the sun was baking us. It was 95 degrees ashore and we were going through the ice water! The boat handled like a champ and I would recommend her to anyone that wants a dry, comfortable and forgiving vessel.
This is a picture of our beach where we have Everlong moored.
And a close up of the little lady moored.
Of course, my little wife has no interest in the boat, just the creatures she can put in here marinara sauce!
....and when a man looses a hat in your service, you owe him a hat. Rob in his new cruising hat. I think I will be moving to something with a larger brim since a ball cap will help your forehead, but boy did my neck burn!
So, that's it folks. We're in the water and loving the boat. I'll throw some pictures from any changes and improvements in the future, but I will probably use the site to keep everyone abreast of what is going on in the family. Until next time, fair winds and following seas!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home